Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Decisions for moving forward. Post #13

After some careful evaluation we realized we weren't as far in the hole as we thought we were.  Yes the client still has a long way to come and we need it for play-testing.  But Zach has made pretty good progress on an ugly temp client in Elm that we will use to test vision, pathfinding and a few other "critical systems".

Once the Elm client is mocked up enough to show units and some basic terrain we can start testing.
Granted it won't be a visual feast but it will get the job done so we can keep moving forward with server logic.

Which means I will keep working on the 3D JS client.  I am going back to the Babylon JS engine to experiment with their object loader.  Now That I have some real JavaScript chops I am going to re-evaluate it's usability.  I'm pretty sure after using ThreeJS on it's own for the past two months that it was just my noob-ness causing my problems.

Side note:  I've heard some really good things about Visual Studio's JavaScript intellisense so I'll be checking that out this week as well.  It also has TypeScript support (which I'm only partially curious about but will give a look).

Currently I am working on the BabylonJS model loader and terrain generation examples, looking into how they will translate/compose with the ThreeJS implementation we already have.

Side note 2:  I have been informed that I once (maybe even more than once) promised videos of progress.  Sorry about being a liar but I won't be able to get to videos until after I get more done on the client.  I will put some videos up as soon as I have something worth showing.


So, goals for this week are:
   
     Clay:

     Get into the BabylonJS loader code and understand it's use properties.

     Get a simple scene loaded with a couple of units and a few buildings.
     (off-line, no server communication.  Well...  ideally it'd be spawning from the server)

     Zach:
 
     Getting Elm client to a critical testing point.

     Test vision on the Elm client.

   
Thanks for reading,
-Clay

No comments:

Post a Comment