Tuesday, May 13, 2014

I LOVE PHASER!!!! (or maybe I just love 2D) Post #17

This past week I spent reading up on a JavaScript engine called Phaser.

So far it's been awesome.  It has great support for touch functionality and UI components.  It has support for the Tiled .tmx format as well as JSON.

In two days I created a draggable (with touch and mouse) dude that "eats" stars when you drag him over them and displays the point total.  Which doesn't sound like much but a lot of the time went towards separating the code demos into a proper class structure for encapsulation.

I'm going to see how far I can get on the GUI in the next week with this new engine.

The great part about switching GUIs is that the binary decoder/encoder we have is completely re-usable. Which means I can completely change what I am doing without effecting the model.  Thank goodness we planned ahead for this.

Just as a side note.  If things get strapped for time in the next couple of weeks we can always re-hack together my almost working 3D GUI so that it displays the state of the model.  i.e.  You can peek into the game state like a little movie but can't interact with it.  This will allow us to show that our foundation is totally functional just missing most (well... all really) of it's features.

Which is why I'm taking the time to research this 2D option.  Our main goal is to learn but we are set on doing so by creating a playable end-product even if it takes us longer than our scholastic time-constraints might allow.

Pictures of the GUI/HUD to come by the end of the new week.

Thanks for reading,
-Clay Francisco

No comments:

Post a Comment