Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Passing the halfway mark

[posted 1 week late]
[this is for last week --May 5]

I can't believe it's week 6 already.  Looks like I'll have to spend the rest of the week coming up with an action plan for how these last 4 weeks should go.  With the end of the quarter sneaking up this fast I'll need to spend a few hours this week figuring out what tasks we can accomplish in this limited time.

Back to previous problems though; this past week I ended up solving my CSS issue.

It was an asset loader problem with the level objects (it's always the freakin' loaders!!!).  I didn't realize that the level objects contained the paths for their terrain PNGs because the game has it's own image loader function/class.  I figured that all the image data would get loaded through image loader function but that isn't the case.   Several of the pieces to this tutorial game are hard-coded for ease of readability and it ends up making the structure of the code a little sprawling.

Now that I'm through that headache I can focus on the 4 week crunch.

I will be spending this week digging into a 2D engine called Phaser because I'm starting to wonder if all of these headaches can be avoided with sprite sheets and atlases.   I should be making more headway then I am.  Also my impending graduation is definitely bringing my 3D trudge to the forefront of my mind.

So wish me luck on my super short 2D adventure.

Thanks for reading,
-Clay Francisco

No comments:

Post a Comment